Friday, May 19, 2006

Commas Be Gone!


I keep letting extra commas slip into my writing. I've been writing more at work lately and it reminds me of a problem I've had for as long as I can remember. I use too many commas. My fingers just blast them into places they don't belong. It's as if my right middle finger has a mind of its own. I remember receiving papers back from teachers and having lots of slashed commas. I got over the problem when I was a technical writer. I wrote much more carefully then. But I'm back to my old tricks. I'm familiar with the guidelines for comma usage. I just a have a tick and it expresses itself this way.

I reread one of my recent blog posts and found an extra comma. That was too much. I've had it up to here! I think I'll remove the comma key from my keyboard for a while. That'll teach me a lesson. I'm not really clear on what the lesson will be, but I'm doing it anyway.

Down with excessive commas!

By the way, I just used the spell checker provided in Blogger for the first time. It does not recognize the word blog. That's kinda funny.

2 comments:

Sophzilla said...

You might also work out some tension if you smashed the comma key. I guess you could get a replacement later. I have a problem with dashes -- too many of them.

Eclectchick said...

I, too, suffer from comma and hyphenitis. If you find a cure, please let your fellow 'itis' sufferers know.
Thank you.

Blog Archive