Thursday, July 15, 2010

Kayak Trailer for a Bicycle


I enjoy kayaking at a lake that's about a mile from my house. I've been strapping the kayak to the roof of my van, driving to the lake, paying for parking, and unloading the kayak. When I'm done paddling, I have to reverse process and it's a bit of a hassle loading and unloading the kayak on the roof of the mini van. I don't like paying for parking and I really dislike wasting gasoline.

Here's my solution. I converted the old kids trailer into a kayak trailer. I cut the trailer's tongue in half and installed a 7-foot extension. I used PVC pipe as the extension. It was, as you might expect, a bit wobbly. So I added a steel pipe inside the PVC pipe. This corrected the problem.

It's a perfect reuse of a trailer.

3 comments:

Scorpicon said...

Nice solution! How does the bike handle with a trailer that long?

rigtenzin said...

I have to plan how I approach corners and be careful of things next to the trail like trash cans and babies, but other than that -- oh, and it's harder to pedal (that's no surprise).

People have come up while I'm loading and unloading it and asked me how I built it. People also stare at it as they drive by in cars.

jim w said...

They might just be staring at you, you good lookin' somofabitch.