Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Newest Misc. Photos from Bike Rides

I've been taking photos with a new cell phone camera. If I remember to respect the light, it takes pretty good photos. The video is good too, but it's tough to hold such a small device still.

Here's my single-speed bike with a broken freewheel. I discovered this in the first mile of Saturday's Hiawatha ride.

If you look closely at the photo, you will see the freewheel hanging loose. Later in the day, I converted it to a fixed gear and then crashed. Maybe fixed gear riding isn't for me. How can I unlearn 40 some years of coasting whenever I want? If you have some experience with this subject, let me know what you think. I'm not sure it's possible to unlearn very old habits, but I enjoy riding the fixed gear bike and want to make it work for me.



Dramatic skies make better photos. Look at the plants blowing in the strong wind.


This was a sunrise shot with the sun at my back (long shadow).



I turned around and looked into the sun for this photo. Can you see the people down the path? They were kissing when I passed them a couple minutes later. It was about 7 AM.


This was another windy day. I saw quite a few riders on the Minneapolis Light Rail bike path so I pulled out the phone and caught a couple of them then the train rolled by. You can see the riders struggling against the north wind. It was a fun ride in the other direction.

2 comments:

reverend dick said...

Keep riding the fixed. You will get used to it. It'll remind you as often as needed about not coasting.

lemmiwinks said...

I built up a faux fixed wheel bike, it was really just an old 10 speed, sorry 5 speed in today's parlance, that I disassembled the freewheel on filled with glue instead of grease. I discovered that I didn't enjoy not being able to coast but luckily it didn't cost me anything to find that out.