Friday, April 15, 2011

The Kids

I gave my daughter a black eye last week with a baseball while playing catch. I really felt like crap because no parent likes to see their kid hurt especially when the parent is the cause of the injury.

The only way to avoid childhood injuries is to keep our kids in the house all the time.  Since that's not an option, I'll just have to worry silently and let then be kids.

My son rides his bike to school and it worries the shit out of me, because there are lots of people driving cars who aren't taking it as seriously as they should. If their kids were out on the road, I'm sure they'd be more careful.

I remember being injured quite a few times when I was kid -- bicycling, skateboarding, and fights.

This is a link to a blog post in which the author's kid crashes into a tree. It feel sad for the dad.

1 comment:

lemmiwinks said...

I know how horrible it feels when you see your child hurt (especially if you're the klutz that did it). But down here in Australia, we call it the school of hard knocks.

You can't live your life wrapped in cotton wool, and nor can your kids.