Monday, May 16, 2016

Another New Bike -- But this one really is New!

I took my broken Fisher frame to the bike shop where I purchased it in 2007. They took photos of the crack and filed a warranty claim with Trek. Trek responded with a generous credit toward a new bike. None of the old components were compatible with anything they now sell.

So I looked through the Trek catalog and found their Stache line which feature 29+ tires. I've wanted a Krampus since I first saw one, so this seemed like a good choice. I have a dual-suspension 29er, a fat bike, a single-speed 29er, and a drop-bar, 8-speed 29er. So I didn't need any of those and the Stache line turns me on. 

I test rode one at the dealer and really liked it. I figured they'd have to order it for me, but they let me have one from stock. I took a bike home that day.

It really rides well and I enjoy the light weight -- 24.5 lbs.  The best part is the front end geometry. It handles better than any of my other bikes. I cut corners faster than ever and the plus tires keep traction when I expect them to slide out. I've lost traction three times on the front end and instead of meeting the dirt, I saved it. This bike has allowed me to be a better bike handler. I don't miss the suspension parts either.

I will sell a couple of my older off-road bikes and rely on this as my main ride. 
It has a more relaxed headtube angle than I'm used to. It has a 70mm stem -- very short. It has very wide bars too. I think it would be valuable to apply these items to my fat bike and see if it handles any better. I don't really like it's handling, but I'm stuck with it in the winter.

No comments: