Saturday, March 10, 2007

3-Speed Hub Overhaul Class


I spent my Saturday morning in a 3-speed hub overhaul class put on by Hiawatha Cyclery. Mark Stonich of Bikesmith Design taught the class. We took our hubs apart, inspected them, and reassembled them.

Mark has an encyclopedia of Sturmey Archer hub information in his head and shared lots of his knowledge with us.

For fun, I took a few photos of my hub. It's a Sturmey Archer AW made in 1966. It has 28 holes and I have a set of 700c rims that it will go with very soon. This will be the start of my new commuter bike.
Did you know that most of these hubs will accept two cogs? That gives me an idea.

4 comments:

jim w said...

That is one shinny hub. The glare hurt my eyes.

rigtenzin said...

If you look closely, you can see my stubby little fingers in the reflection.

Matt_J said...

Interesting, I used to ride to Macalester from Selby on a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed from the 60s. That was a grand bike, even on Grand, leather seat with springs, always worked.

James said...

I have a defective SRF3 that was in my quickbeam to disassemble. I think the low gear pawls aren't ratcheting properly and thus dragging the planet cage with the hub shell when it spins, but it's been a while for me. It's a couple of years since I overhauled an AW and can't quite remember how it works, I guess I should have a look at my own blog. I'm curious to see if the new "rotary" clutch in the SRF3 will work with the AW.

Blog Archive