Saturday, February 02, 2008

Skillz Training

I woke up late this morning and missed the Saturday Hiawatha Cyclery Ride. So later in the day, I rode a few errands and stopped by Minnehaha Falls. It's frozen now and the target of someone with a message. I'm sure it was an important message, but I couldn't quite make it out -- something like "NOW."



The city is building a new pavilion and gazebos at the Wabun Picnic area at Minnehaha Falls Park. That would be a nice place to hold a bicyclist picnic in nicer weather. I counted one pavilion and 4 new gazebos. I've always wanted a gazebo. I'll have to settle for a shared one.




The skillz training came in because I had to dodge the numerous dog turds littering the bike trails. I don't know why, but in the winter I see lots more poop on the trail, left by miserable piece of crap dog owners. I'm glad most owners clean up their dogs' messes, otherwise it would be impassable.

There goes my G rating.

9 comments:

Revrunner said...

Those are the SAME falls that were featured during last night's weather news here where I live in Virginia. You're famous!

Snakebite said...

"There goes my G rating."

Welcome to the dark side.

reverend dick said...

See sprinklebrigade.com for some ideas on how to make that dogshit scenario more tolerable. hope that helps with your ratings.

lemmiwinks said...

Am I correct in assuming that water continues to flow beneath (or behind in the case of the vertical drop) the ice? The whole river doesn't freeze solid right? It doesn't get that cold here.

rigtenzin said...

There must be some underground flow, but I'm just guessing. Upstream, it's solid ice. It flows near my house and we walk on it. It flows into the Mississippi River about a 1/2 mile from the falls. The Mississippi is not totally frozen.

Eclectchick said...

ICE graffiti. Now there's something you don't see every day.

Arleigh Jenkins said...

I love that bike!

TSVDP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TSVDP said...

It is interesting, you name is Rigtenzin and names with Tenzin I believe are often Tibetan (see the current Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso so maybe you are into Buddhism or are Tibetan? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenzin_Gyatso,_14th_Dalai_Lama as a reference) and one time, riding up from Fort Snelling to the U of Minnesota, I came across 2 or 3 Monks in Saffron gowns and I believe they were Tibetans and I showed them great reverence knowing a bit about the faith, Om Mani Patme Hum!

This is a very nice bicycle and I was reading your prior posts last night, one on the ABCEvent etc. I was looking for a description of your 3 speed because obviously, you probably put those handlebars on it and the chainguard is like those of the classic Raleighs, so it is probably a Supreme or a Sports. Coming out of Fort Snelling, one summer day, right close to me in that park around twilight a big owl must have caught something right when I was there and about 10 feet from me. I've been in Fort Snelling at night too during rather cold weather and right by the lake in that state park, I was there with an owl close by and not unusual for Minnesota, you can hear them in that park at night.

Sorry, I don't like to post as anonymous so maybe I can get this working with my google account. I updated my profile name because I've hardly ever used google in this manner.

Blog Archive