Friday, March 21, 2008

A Somehwhat Narrow Sidewalk

I had my car windshield replaced last Friday morning. The glass shop told me it would take about 4 hours, so I dropped off the car and walked to a coffee shop to work using the laptop. The walk to the coffee shop took me across the bridge shown below. It's Lyndale Ave. over I-494 located in Bloomington, MN. The sidewalk is only wide enough for one person.

Take a close look at the sidewalk. The sidewalk is only wide enough for one person. If you walked across this and encountered someone coming toward you, one of you would have to step down onto the street. That would be a dangerous move, because this is not a street for pedestrians. The traffic lanes are very narrow and the car drivers are thinking about their next high-speed move.

The photo makes it look like the sidewalk might include some of brown stuff left of the snow-covered path, but it doesn't.

When I got to the other side of the bridge, I watched a city bus unload several people. Most of them walked over this bridge to their destinations. So the sidewalk is used frequently.

I believe they're replacing this bridge in the next year or so. I hope they improve the design for pedestrians. I have a feeling there will be more of pedestrians in the near future. I posted this, because I walk lots of places and I get frustrated by the terrible walking facilities. This is a perfect example.

I took the photo from the location of the red arrow in the satellite image below.

No comments:

Blog Archive