Tuesday, November 07, 2006

New Bike Time


I picked this up last Friday. It's not a replacement for my other off-road bike(s). I simply wanted it.

It's a single-speed, rigid, 29er. I think you're supposed to say, "Twenty-niner." The rims are the same diameter as 700c. The difference is that this frame is built to accept huge tires -- like the ones that are on the bike. They measure 53mm wide and 29 1/4 inches in diameter. 26 inch bikes have that kind of width, but their diameter is only 26 1/4.

I apologize for the different measurements, but in the U.S., we're stuck between the English system and the metric system. I relate to both and am constantly caught using both systems in one sentence. Don't blame me. I represent the current situation. It's like being bilingual except not as useful.

The reason this tire size is useful is that the bigger wheels allow the bike to roll over rough terrain more smoothly. A bigger wheel gets stuck in fewer small bumps. I've ridden a few of these as test rides at shops. I also rode an un-named riding companion's 29er in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago. I'm convinced they ride more smoothly over bumps. But mostly, I'm convinced that new bikes are fun -- even if they're old, new bikes. Like the old bike that got me thinking of this wheel size in the first place. The Raleigh DL1 3-speed with 28" (635mm bcd) wheels.

I sold an old road racing frame and fork last night and still have another for sale. These sales are to keep the bike supply in balance.

Glossary
Rigid: A bike with no suspension.
29er: 700c with extra fat tires and a frame built to accommodate those fatties.
700c: A wheel size that most road-racing bikes have.
Off-road bike: Any bike you ride on dirt trails.
Single speed: A bike with one gear that also allows you to coast, that is, it allows you to stop pedaling while moving without being thrown up in the air like a rag doll.

10 comments:

Frostbike said...

Blogger isn't letting me see the photo, but congrats none the less. Nothing makes you feel good like a new bike.

Jeff Moser said...

Put up a full ride report after you get some miles in. I've been thinking of the same thing...going with a single speed 29er. I don't want to drop tons of cash for something I'm not sure about!

rigtenzin said...

I plan to ride the heck out of this bike and then do a report and get a proper photo on the blog. The photo you see, I took with my CreepyCam. It's a really bad photo, because I didn't respect the light properly.

fob said...

Respect the light. What is it? A lot of people in Lincoln are riding single speed 29ers. I'm more convinced about the 29 part than the ss part, although I've been given a chance to try both. Eric at MWC offered to let me demo one of these, and I think I'll take him up on it.

I need to work on the selling of the old bikes concept.

Eclectchick said...

Congrats on the new friend.

I can't help but be curious? Where did you pick it up??

rigtenzin said...

I got it at Hiawatha Cyclery. I like lots of bike shops, but they are one of my favorites.

Eclectchick said...

Cool! I'm feeling a strong CX bike vibe. No, not to race on - my body is too messed up as it is. Just to have as a handy all-terrain vehicle.

rigtenzin said...

I'd love a CX bike. I look on craig's list for stuff like that. They come up regularly.

Richard Strohl said...

You didn't say in your post, but it looks like you got yourself a Redline Monocog 29er. A new one retails for just under $500. I just snatched up one of these used from a friend of mine for $250. I couldn't afford not to try it out for that price. My regular rig is a Santa Cruz Blur. After half a dozen rides, I'm surprised to report this bike rocks my world. The Single Speed forces you to use your whole body in new and different ways to keep it rolling and I know it will make me a stronger rider back on my F.S. bike. I have been leaving my friends behind on their F.S. 26er bikes on the climbs and on the rolling single track. They still outgun me on the gnarly D.H. Perhaps if I add a suspension fork I'll be able to rail the D.H. also. For pure and simple fun and a killer workout this bike rocks! FYI I'm 44 years old 5'8" and weigh about 170 and I ride in Northern Ca. With this bike I will soon weigh 160!

rigtenzin said...

Richard: Yes. It's a Redline Monocog 29". I really loved it. That's past tense because it was stolen last weekend. Take a look at my more recent posts. It's pretty sad. I'll probably buy another. It's a great deal even at full retail price.

Blog Archive