Friday, April 07, 2006

Link to list of bicycle-related blogs and the Fixed Gear Bike

I just added my blog to a listing of bicycle-related blogs.

I need to change the stem on my fixed-gear bike and take a photo of it. It's beautiful in its cheapness. I haven't shown it to any bike nerds like myself yet. I'm wondering whether they'll overlook it because of its cheapness and because no one has heard of it: Krystal Mark IV. It's made in Japan and has cheap high-tensile tubing with stamped dropouts. Those are signs of a junkyard bike. However, it has a few qualities that make it interesting -- the best of which is the nice ride. It has a long top tube (56.5) for such a smallish frame size (53 ctt). It's pretty old. I bought it for $5 at a Goodwill store. It had SunTour Barcons on it and I wanted a set. I intended to throw the rest of the bike away.

It also had randonneaur bars and a 165 mm alloy, SR crankset. I stripped the parts and let the frame sit for two years. A couple of weeks ago, I built and fixed gear bike using a Benotto frame, which is for sale, and then swapped the parts to the Krystal. The Benotto was too small even with a 130mm stem. The long stem made it ride very strangely. I hated it. The Benotto used to be built up as a time trail bike. With the aero bars it rode nicely, but not drops.

Anyway, I really like the fixed gear and I really like the bizarre old frame I built it on.

Speaking of getting fixed, shortly before building a fixed-gear bike, I got myself fixed. It's a story in itself that I'll tell another time, but one issue to be aware of with an operation like a vascestomy is the that hair regrowth is very uncomfortable. I'm sure everyone's story will vary, but that's the most interesting issue from my experience that no one warned me about.

No comments:

Blog Archive