Friday, June 06, 2008

Bike Basket Support

I support and encourage the use of bike baskets. To prove it, here's a photo of the support I built for my bike basket. The basket is very helpful carrying things that don't fit in the rear bag or panniers. Equipped this way, the bike can be a real work horse.

I mounted the basket a few months ago on top of a Nashbar front rack. The setup was a little wobbly so I built a support for the basket from aluminum stock. It is a much sturdier setup now.





I couldn't keep the three-speed wheel from slipping in the drop outs. I tried lots of cures that didn't work. That story is worth a post in itself. Last weekend, I installed a derailleur and a wheel with a freewheel. I'm not done with trying the internal hub on this bike, but I needed the bike to work reliably. It's my best bike for riding to work.

3 comments:

Matt_J said...

Thanks for your support.
I sent my brother a picture of my bike and he made a comment about
the manbasket. Its a tough world. You get on your bike and you wear your heart on your sleeve.

Matt_J said...

By the way that frontbasket looks like a handy place to keep snacks.

reverend dick said...

well, I'm just glad you proved it.

Blog Archive