Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Fast is good too

This morning I decided to work at home. I seem to get more done at home when I'm doing certain types of work, like writing. Which is what I'm doing.

I stepped outside and found the weather to be as good as it gets. So I placed the laptop in the goofy messenger bag (I couldn't find my homemade laptop pannier) and threw a leg over Big Red. I rode to the Firefly Bistro at 52nd and Bloomington for coffee while I worked sitting at a table on the sidewalk. Very nice. I used up my battery and rode back home. I worked for a couple of hours in my backyard with an extension cord supplying power.

I then rode my Lemond road bike. I haven't been on it for months and within a few miles found it comfortable and fast. Before I knew it, I was pushing it hard and making myself very tired. It's fun to go fast. I'll do more of that kind of riding.

On the way home, I stopped by a bike shop for brake pads. The commuter bike needs them badly. The shop has a Felt cruiser styled like a bowling shoe.
I really liked it. The photos do not do it justice. It has an aluminum frame welded in halves. I think it's called a monocoque frame. The seat is upholstered like a bowling shoe with "12" printed on the back. And it's a three-speed.

Felt has lots of styled cruisers based on the same or similar frames. If that's what it takes to get people on bikes, then I'm all for it. I think I'd like to sneak over there and ride one. I've never liked cruisers, but I'll try to open my mind.

No comments:

Blog Archive