Saturday, May 12, 2007

Rhododendron Day 2

A couple buds were opening this morning. Here's one of them.


While trying to find the spelling of rhododendron, I found the American Rhododendron Society.

For those of you who are wondering what the heck this has to do with bicycles, just wait. I'll tie it in somehow, soon, but not today.

I suppose my interest in these plants has grown over the 12 years we've owned the house. The rhododendrons were already here, planted by the green-thumb lady who lived here before us. I didn't pay any attention to them at first, but each winter, they stayed green and kept their leaves. Up to that point, the only plants I'd seen that kept their leaves were pine trees and other evergreens. People who came to the house during winter noticed them also.

Their leaves get a little brown during the harsh winter months, but they have always come back to total green by mid-summer. I'm impressed by them.

3 comments:

amidnightrider said...

I got your note about the helmet cam and stopping. I do just about all of my photography while riding.

I keep the camera in my handlebar bag. When I see a good shot I reach in and grab it. That's what I ment when I talked about staying alert looking for pictures, as opposed to concentrating on riding.

Some rides are for riding, some are for picture taking.

rigtenzin said...

I agree. Lately, I've been torn between the two types of rides.

Coincidently, today I installed a set of drop bars on my three-speed. This allows me to use my handlebar bag for the purpose of holding my camera on next weekend's Lake Pepin Three Speed Tour.

I'll have to post about that. It's a nice ride.

Jeff Moser said...

I've been keeping my camera in my jersey pocket. It seems to stay put even on the bumpy rides. It's a tiny camera though... Keeping it in a backpack is bad. It's too hard to get to, and you end up missing some good shots.

Blog Archive