Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Trip to Target

At Target the other night, I noticed an overwhelming number of brands and models we have to select from (or from which to select, for you no-prepositions-at-the-end-of-sentences folks) in almost every product category.
My family and I were shopping for items to fill an Iraqi relief package. The package included shampoo, towels, soap, toothbrushes, etc. While in the shampoo aisle, I turned around and counted 20 types of hair dryers on display. There were more models under the shelf.



That's a lot of hair drying capability.
At the end of the aisle, I gagged at the smell of hunderds of types of perfume.


In every aisle, I saw the same thing -- way more choices than I could handle.
I've noticed it before, but I always quickly pushed it out of my head.
I'm not even sure if I have a point to this, but it seems worth noting.

For the package, we weren't buying the same stuff we usually buy. This gave me a chance to look around more. When I shop for myself, I don't think about items, I just look for my brand. For example, when I buy my shampoo, I look for Head and Shoulders, then pick the store-brand version next to it.

This experience caused me to see the vast selection of products in a different way.

7 comments:

Scorpicon said...

I feel as though it's okay for there to be many colognes, because they (theoretically) all smell differently. However, no one should ever have to pick between that many hair driers. They just blow hot air. Beyond the cheapest models (which might be too hot or cold), I can't see how you can make hot air any better.

Jim Thill said...

I try to go in the other direction at HC for most items. For example, I only carry one kind of chain for each gearing system. For some reason, I can't resist having a huge selection of tires and rims.

Eclectchick said...

This is the kind of thing which makes me feel a little embarrassed to be an American.

The endless choices of such banal objects are really quite absurd.

KM said...

All men really need is one cologne -- Hai Karate.

rigtenzin said...

KM: One cologne? You mean my farts and my armpit smells are too much?

amidnightrider said...

You had me looking out of one eye with my head cocke thinking,
"Head and Shoulders?" Then the punch. Got me right in the gut. Funny.

Jackrabbit Slim said...

You need to embrace your innner consumerism...what if "they" only made one kind of bicycle? Could there be -gulp- a person as into hairdryers as some of us are into bikes?

Blog Archive